Daydream Sanctuary Features

Friday, March 13, 2009

Live Action: Detroit Metal City

Soichi Negishi moved to Tokyo to chase his dream of becoming a musician playing stylish, Swedish-style pop. Instead, he finds himself leading the death metal band Detroit Metal City, or DMC, as the costumed and grotesquely made-up "demon emperor" Johannes Krauser II. Although he hates the role and the things he has to do as a member of the band, he has a definite talent for it. Adapted from the hit Japanese comic book by Kiminori Wakasugi, the movie follows Negishi's antics as he tries to reconcile the two very different sides of his life and find out what it really means to achieve his dream. (source from IMDB)

I love metal music! Not really because I can relate to the music and worship the musicians and stuff, but I like the tune and sometimes it humors me! Haha! When I've heard about the anime Detroit Metal City having that kind of music, I got interested of course. I didn't expect it to be so funny though. Wahahaha! I love the crack, and I like the story! The main character having split personalities is a big plus for me too! Oh I loved this series so much and of course I've completed the whole anime OVA series. ALRIGHT!

So when I found out that it's going to have a live-action movie, I wanted to see it so badly! Sadly the subs haven't been out until recently. I couldn't download it at once when the subs were out either because they were in .srt files, not hardsubbed. For some reason, I can't play those. Luckily, an online friend was able to hardsub it and uploaded it for me. Oh I love you! <3
So YAY! I was finally able to watch it. I had followed the anime storyline, but of course there are several changes and additions here and there. My favorite scene here is the one when he scared the people at the restaurant unintentionally. It wasn't in the anime so it took me by surprised and oh my stomach had hurt from laughing! Haha! The songs played are the same, but the music's a little different (perhaps it's because they're sang by different artists?). I like the movie's version more. The story, for me, is better in the movie as well. There was more drama and it had more happy/positive ideas compared to the anime. There had been better plot and character development too! Speaking of the characters, the characters in the movie are likable too. Negishi's running and other dorky acts never fail to amuse me! And Aikawa was really really cute and not as naive as her anime version. The other characters seem better too, even Negishi's mom! Wow . . . in other words, movie>anime! HELL YEAH!!!!

Rating: 8.5 out of 10
Favoritism: 8.0 out of 10

Oh yeah, I know of the manga version of course. But if it's a musical story, I prefer to watch it on screen. There are a few exceptions of course (like Nodame Cantabile) but . . .still . . .I prefer hearing the music too. Hehe.