Daydream Sanctuary Features

Monday, March 23, 2009

Xam'd Lost Memories

Xam'd Lost Memories
aka Bounen no Xamdou

of Bones and Aniplex


One of the most epic awesome shounen series in anime history!

Rating: A- OH MY GOD! Amazing, fantastic, oh really wonderful!
Favoritism: 8.5 hearts out of 10
Sentan Island is a small island surrounded by the Yuden Sea. It exists in a state of dreamlike tranquility, cut off from the war between the Northern Government and the Southern Continent Free Zone. Our hero, Akiyuki Takehara, lives on Sentain Island along with his mother Fusa. He is currently separated from his father, the town doctor Ryuzo, but the bond between father and son remains. One day, after taking Ryuzo the lunch that Fusa has made for him as usual, Akiyuki arrives at school, where he is caught up in an explosion along with his friends, Haru and Furuichi. The explosion produces a mysterious light, which enters Akiyuki's arm, causing him excruciating pain. He's given no time to understand it, however, as the white-haired girl who rode on the bus with him guides him to a power unlike anything he's ever known. (MyAnimeList)

I'm a huge shounen fangurl, and I like supernatural, spirits, and military stuff. This series also gave me FullMetal Alchemist and Eureka 7 vibes. So it wasn't a surprise to me at all that I have loved this series!

This series is one of the best shounen series that ever existed that I really wonder why it hadn't been that popular. It's true that the story still had some annoying cliches and deux ex machina (though I have to take note that they're really few) but overall it had been really creative and superb! It had a very fantastic storytelling. Though I have to admit that I've failed to understand and am still a little confused on some parts of the story, but that doesn't mean that it hadn't been good!

It didn't only have a good story but it covered some interesting themes too. Most of them have something to do with doing morality and human relationships. I also love it that it had many mix in genres! I am very relieved that the romance here is canon (thus won't wreck fans brains if they'll be together or not) and not mushy either. YAY! Also, the animation's awesome! Character designs were great too (though I have to admit the monster designs didn't appeal to me much). As expected from those amazing producers! Action scenes and other intense moments had been presented really well. Whoa, I think the directors did such a good job too.

This series also have a great set of characters. They get a chance to shine, even minor ones have a chance to shine and have a significant role. My favorite character is Nakiami. She's pretty, kind, and awesome. I am very touched with her relationship with Yango. Those two were very sweet. My favorite guy is Kakisu Toujiro. He reminds me of FMA's Roy Mustang and I have a thing for handsome high-ranked military officials. Hehe. He gives me headaches sometimes, but usually I find him adorable and entertaining. Haha! I like to pair him up with Sukakki Prois. For me their relationship is similar to FMA's Roy x Riza, hehe. But my favorite couple here is the main couple: Akiyuki x Haru. It's just so romantic.

I praise this series a lot that it actually deserves an A rating but I can't rate this as such here because I wasn't that addicted to it. I mean, it's VERY good but I hadn't been extremely hooked to it like what I had been to other series. But I really loved and tuned to it when it was still airing, heck I believe I've made a number of entries about it @ my fandom journal.

This series is HIGHLY recommended to those who want are hungry for a good shounen anime series.