Daydream Sanctuary Features

Sunday, November 13, 2011

[ Manga Discovery ] Brothers


Brothers
by Naruse Yoshiki

[ Demographic: SHOUNEN ]
Two brothers struggle to become Exorcists, fighters who can defeat monsters called the Dracul.
(5 chapters read as of the date this blog entry was posted)

POTENTIAL: B- (PRETTY GOOD!) FAVORITISM: 4.5 Hearts (ADDICTION)

Motivation: (What Made Me Check It Out)
THE TITLE xD
Curses: (What Seems to be Bad About It)
The storytelling needs a lot of fixing. It lacks a lot (story and character background), and the flow isn't done that well (fast pace has nothing to do with it).
Lots to fix on the characterization too. Way more. The idea of making them based on actual people in history felt a little... forced.
I mean, the Grimm brothers, for example, they just write on their free time o_O Though tey don't even seem to like fairy tales; much less be the type to bother to write at all (heck, we don't even get to see them write). In other words, if the mangaka has no plans to make the characters as similar as their original counterparts as possible, the name usage didn't seem necessary(or the mangaka could at least make them the "real me is different from what the public thinks" type... or just borrow the name, and that's all).
Lastly, why the title "brothers" when exorcists could be male + female siblings too ^^;
Praises: (What Seems to be Good About It)
I am happy of its attempt to put together various popular siblings in history. They didn't blend well in the story (might've been better if the mangaka didn't base them on historical people anymore), but still, the idea was nice =D
I'm relieved that the protagonist's overprotectiveness is being criticized. He doesn't need to fail to realize it; there's a reliable supporting character that can open his eyes on that.
Bias: (What's Keeping Me Hooked to It)
Historical, literary, and religious references..... YES =3
Bishies? Student and Teacher closeness? .... YES =3
Brotherly love? ....YES YES YES YES YE YES =3
Fangirl: (What I Love in It)
WOLFGANG MOZART, I LOVE YOU! He is mean (in words) but actually very caring. And I love it that he's so abusable though he's actually pretty powerful. Not to mention he's so CUUUUUUUUUUUUUTE! With or without the freakin' wig, he's cute xD
I also like his sister... I love their bond. So cute and so sweet xD
I love the Grimm Brothers too... especially Wilheim!!! Him and his insect craze xD And him thinking his brother's chest hair is like a caterpillar... WTFLOLz xD
Also... RYAN IS BEYOND ADORABLE!!!! I CAN CUDDLE HIM FOREVER xD
Beethoven's squishable as well xD And oh, I find Leon pretty cool... xD
And though the older Wright brother isn't my favorite, I love his line when he got angry that his brain was almost damaged (the usual joke is being angry for damaging one's face xD)
Nostalgia: (What It Reminds Me of)
Ao no Exorcist (brothers and exorcists... yeah), Fullmetal Alchemist (replace alchemy with exorcism then.. yeah xD), Afterschool Charisma (historical figures in a different setting as well)
Overall:
The story is interesting, but a lot of editing would be needed to make it better. The potential was kinda wasted on the unimpressive storytelling. The same goes for the characters; they are interesting, but the characterization, background, and even the introduction seemed lacking.
But despite those flaws, it's still pretty good. The art's pretty cool too. What's best about it is how LOVABLE the characters are (well, except for the protagonist and the villains; they're kinda difficult to appreciate). They're all so cute and sweet... I feel like I'm gonna die from diabetes from all the sweetness xD Hahahaha!
Oh my god I find this soooooooo adorable that I got hooked on it xD I love the characters so much... especially my favorites. Damnit. I could no longer count how many times I've been staring at Wolfgang, ahahaha!