Daydream Sanctuary Features

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Fandom Blurbs 2011 #005 (Hunger Games Trailer & My August 2011 New Novels)

Some Hunger Games teaser first:
THAT'S IT???! UUUUUUUGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

Anywayz, now about the main topic of this post:
I used to buy a lot of novels (on sale) almost weekly, but I don't get to read majority of them that soon x_x So because of that (and also because of budget issues), I've been trying my best to limit the books I buy xD The number of books that I used to buy in just two weeks now took me a month! I'm improving... little by little... haha!

So here are the interesting novels I found (most interesting at the bottom) and hopefully they have been worth buying, even if they're discounted:
  1. I, Juan de Pareja (Elizabeth Borton de Trevino)
    I like stories about artists. And I find the idea of a slave wanting to become one pretty intriguing. Social discrimination issues~
  2. Wish Riders (Patrick Jennings)
    The plot had bored me, to be honest. But the Cinderella reference and its mention that it deals with folklore drew me in somehow. Not to mention it got positive reviews... it might be good.
  3. The Witch's Trinity (Erika Mailman)
    Ahaha... I suppose stories about women being accused for witches capture my interest... and it has something to do with Season of the Witch *just watched it*
  4. Fingers (William Sleator)
    The horror in this seems to be YA-level (or maybe it is a YA novel, just didn't seem like it).... so it might not be that scary... but I like horror stories related to music~
  5. Living Dead Girl (Elizabeth Scott)
    Sounds like a zombie novel but not about a zombie kid in school, or about some virus outbreak. Unusual enough for me.
  6. Glasshouse (Charles Stross)
    I blame the cover. It's so... blue... Well, the blue and white/gray color mix made me see my favorite color combination (blue and silver). It got me attracted... and I don't get to read much SF novels, so I picked it up at once, haha!
  7. Luna (Julie Anne Peters)
    At first I thought it had something to do with the moon, or the goddess Luna. But it turned out to be about a boy who claims to have been a girl... interesting~
  8. The Horrific Sufferings of the Mind-Reading Monster, Hercules Barefoot: His Wonderful Love and His Terrible Hatred (Carl-Johan Vallgren)
    A "monster" being treated cruelly by "servants of god" and he gets a love story with a beautiful girl? Interesting enough for me~
    It got so many negative reviews though... had me a little worried
  9. The Shack (WM. Paul Young)
    It seemed to have had a lot of positive reviews.... and the plot intrigued me. Hopefully it's as good as it seems.
  10. The Pull of the Ocean (Jean-Claude Mourlevat)
    Three sets of twin boys... and a story about brotherhood... can't... resist.
  11. The Egyptologist (Arthur Phillips)
    Fiction related to Egypt and its history and mytholgoy... can't resist~ It's an international bestseller too, so it might be as good as it seemed~
  12. Sepulchre (Kate Mosse)
    Religious references and discovering secrets of people from history.... oh these kinds of plots always make me thrilled.
  13. Al Capone Does My Shirts (Gennifer Choldenko)
    Seems hilarious! And it's got an awward! It's gotta be good~
  14. The Great Stink (Clare Clark)
    The titles sounds... EPIC! Haha! (And someone from war now working on the sewers? o_o Pretty unusual... I like that)
  15. The Little Book (Selden Edwards)
    It's about a timetraveller who gets to meet famous people like those from the field of literature and psychology!!! MY TYPE!!!!