Daydream Sanctuary Features

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Manga Discoveries: Usagi Drop, Flat, My Girl, and ft. Gakuen Babysitters!

I have this addiction of checking out new manga even though my reading list is already damn long. Hopefully my manga hunting will help you in picking new manga to read =D

This time, I'll also be featuring new series that I've worked on. Of course whatever I've touched is awesome and will have special treatment, haha! So here goes:

[ FEATURED: GAKUEN BABYSITTERS ]
by TOKEINO Hari

After their parents are killed in a plane crash, Ryuuichi and his younger brother Kotarou are taken in by the chairman, who they never met before, of an elite academy. Ryuuichi becomes the school daycare's new babysitter.

The title reminds me of the Baby-sitters Club series by Ann M. Martin. I haven't really read any of its books, but I drop by at bookstores so often that I have been familiar with many titles.

Anyway, stories about babysitters aren't really my thing. But this is a Lala series, and I like a lot of series under that magazine. And besides, the art seems cute, so I guess it's worth the try!

Now that I've read it, to be honest, it bored me. Perhaps it's because I'm not fond of stories about babysitters and neither am I fond of babies (I'm scared of them actually. My baby niece and I still don't get along x_x). However, I have to admit that this series had been very VERY cute. I'm a sucker for brotherly love, and the main character is such a saintly loving brother. This manga had delighted me because of his existence~

It isn't the type of series that I get addicted to but it had been a pretty enjoyable read. I recommend this to those who want to read something simple and cute~ Also if you're very biased to manga with adorable babies~

And of course I noticed that there are baby TWINS in this series. I just couldn't determine if they're boys or girls x_x *loves twins by the way*

Interested? START READING


[ SCANLATED: USAGI DROP ]

by UNITA Yumi
Returning to his family's estate for his grandfather's funeral, thirty-something bachelor Daikichi is floored to discover that the old man had an illegitimate child with a much younger lover! Needless to say, the rest of the family is shocked and embarrassed by this turn of events, and not one of them wants anything to do with the little girl, who refuses to say a word. In a fit of angry spontaneity, Daikichi decides to adopt her! But is living with an overgrown teenager who can barely take care of himself the key to making Rin come out of her shell?
Chapters/Volumes Read: 4 Volumes + upto the recent raws available
I ignored this before because I am really really not fond of lolis. Kids in general actually, unless they're evil (I'm referring to fictional characters). But I see this recommended in so many series. I also see a lot of positive reviews! So I thought I should check it out already.
And when I did . . . before I knew it . . . I got hooked!
I'm still disturbed on how the old man got a kid with such a young girl though . . .
But anyway, it has serious talk and lots of drama . . . but don't worry, they're decent drama. And really touching~ You learn many things about the things you go through on raising a kid in this manga. All those sacrifices to be made yet you can still remain happy. So much family love; they're so sweet . . . daaaaaaaaaw~
Even though it's slow-paced, at least time passes! The characters develop and grow up! Oh I love their grown-up versions!
Rin's one of my favorite females. Of course I ship her with Kouki. I'm really a sucker for childhood lovers stuff~ (though Kouki was messing around with some girl, I don't know why. He is obviously madly in love with Rin but he . . .aarrrgghhh)
Anyway, another thing that I love about this manga is the crack! Haha! It's not centered on comedy though, but it was very very fun to read. As I've said, I got so hooked~
Verdict: Highly Recommended if you want to read a dramatic and comedic slice of life story with family and romantic.

[ SCANLATED: FLAT ]

by AOGIRI Natsu
Heisuke is a young man who was left in charge of taking care of his little cousin Aki for a day. Being an only child who usually stays at home alone, Aki is quiet, reserved, and will go out of his way not to make trouble for others. As they spend more time together, Aki begins to grow very attached to Heisuke, especially since Heisuke's hobby is to make sweets and desserts. The quiet Aki eventually opens up to Heisuke, and Heisuke in return teaches Aki that sometimes it's all right to be selfish and say what you really want to do.
Chapters/Volumes Read: 2 volumes
I have been seeing this often but I kept on ignoring it because . . . it has a cute shota! I really really really prefer evil shota. And if he's gonna go helpless moe, that will annoy the hell out of me. But when I figured out that it's a Mag Garden Avarus manga (I love a lot of series from that), I thought I should give it a try at least.
And oh damn . . . I downloaded everything because I got SO HOOKED! And I freakin' love Aki (the cute shota). He is very VERY adorable! I wanna squish him . . . now now now NOW!
But my absolute favorite in this series is Suzuki, Heisuke's friend! He is the series tsundere!!! Ohohohoho~ He's so cute and intelligent and gets angry so easily and he abuses Heisuke yet he's the one who cares about the guy the most! Kyaaaaaaaa~ It's my best friend love~ Heisuke's close to him too. Heisuke's light-haired while Suzuki's dark-haired, so there goes my usual light-haired and dark-haired duo!!! Kyaaaaaaa!!!! Too bad that Satou gets left behind though . . . and he knows it . . . but he doesn't mind. He's just that nice. He can't help it if Heisuke and Suzuki have their own language. Hahaha!
I wish more awesome females show up . . . or at least have more screentime. The girl who has a crush on Heisuke is such a weirdo . . .I like her! Hahaha!
Ah well, the relationship that this series focuses is Heisuke + Aki. They are soooooooooo sweet. As sweet as the goodies that Heisuke bakes. My blood sugar . . . aaaaahhh!!!!
I think this series doesn't exactly have a main plot, but more on character and relationship development. It's doing so good so far. Especially on the entertainment!!! Oh it has been so funny!!!!
Verdict: Highly Recommended if you want to read a sweet and entertaining slice of life manga with adorable shotas and crack bishies.

[ SCANLATED: MY GIRL ]

by SAHARA Mizu
Kazama Masamune - a single 23-year-old man... has a kid? During the season of cherry blossoms, his beloved passes away. He happens to meet a little girl outside work and realizes she is his daughter who was raised in secrecy by his lover. The worst spring of his life is transformed into a painful yet vivid spring.
Chapters/Volumes Read: 15 Chapters
I thought that this was going to bore the hell out of me. But since it even has a drama presently and it's been having a lot of good reviews, I gave it a try. To my surprise, it's not bad at all.
It's very very heartwarming and touching. It's pretty serious too that even children get involved in adult talk. Mature kids in animanga in this sense isn't exactly common, and it's nice to see children behaving emotionally. It can be sickening if kids are always portrayed as brats in animanga.
It's a little emo though. But at least the characters here have a reason to be angsty . . . though it's sort of their fault . . . ah well, fine, sometimes it got too angsty for me . . . but I guess not angsty enough to annoy the hell out of me.
Though it's more of a serious manga, it's actually pretty humorous though. Especially those events in the recent chapters. After all that drama . . . haha!
Verdict: Recommended if you want a pretty serious yet very heartwarming story involving family love.

[ BATCH IMPRESSION ]
I don't know if anyone has noticed but I sort of had a theme in this batch: slice of life + raising/taking care of a child. I'll try my best to do theme batches on the others.
Anyway, for this batch, ironically, I love the other manga more compare to the one I featured. Or perhaps it has something to do with the fact that I dislike babies more than kids . . . but even so, the other three are really much better.
I like Gakuen Babysitters, but it really bored me and even annoyed me to some point. I only laughed at one part there while the rest are just too lame. Some simple things there have been too dramatic too. But the brotherly love fanservice and the saintliness of the main character made this series likable to me. And I do admit that it's cute.
Another series that got me a little bored is My Girl. Perhaps it's because of I don't find it as exciting as Usagi Drop. I love both but Usagi Drop is just more addicting and entertaining~
Usagi Drop and My Girl both have the single guy raising a daughter thing, and both are equally serious and heartwarming. But if you prefer more entertainment, go for Usagi Drop. But I recommend both. Both are good. Usagi Drop for me is just more addicting. Haha!
Another series in this batch that I find addicting, aside from Usagi Drop, is Flat! Oh my god . . . so much cuteness and bishie crack fanservice. This one humored and delighted me the most! Oh I love it~
For my favorite in this batch, I pick Flat and Usagi Drop. I'm not sure which I like more. Ehehehe . . .