Daydream Sanctuary Features

Monday, September 7, 2009

Manga Discovery: Sora no Otoshimono


Sora no Otoshimono
( Lost Property of the Sky )
by MINAZUKI Suu
Sakurai Tomoki is a normal student whose motto is "normal is the best". If there is one thing abnormal, it is that he often dreams of a girl whose face he cannot even remember, and when he wakes up from that dream, he would always be crying. He tried leaving it as just a dream... but one day, from the sky, an angel descended. (Baka-Updates)

I first heard about this from Manga Summaries. I gave this a try because the plot seemed pretty interesting, and I like angel stuff. Moreover, its anime adaptation is premiering very soon, so why not have an early preview by reading the manga?

So I read all available scanlations so far and . . .

OH GAWD MY HEADACHES:
  • The leading character is the stereotypical perverted loser that is very stupid and pathetic but is actually a very nice and caring guy. And he's some chosen-one to be lucky or blessed enough to have a hot chick by his side.
  • The leading girl is the typical non-human fanservice material servant who claims to know nothing about being human but capable of doing human-like stuff. She is very ignorant of many things; just to show she has flaws somehow because she happened to be one of the strongest, if not the strongest, characters in the series. She is also very obedient and loyal to her master. And of course, she's the obvious love interest of the master since chapter 1 but there had to be some drama and angst after their happy times together for the sake of having such.
  • The third main character is the stereotypical childhood friend of the main character who calls him with a "-chan" because they're close and is secretly in love with him because it's her role to have the unrequited love in the love triangle. Since he's perverted and she's kinda tsundere, she always hits him when he does perverted stuff. She's not really a fighter but she's very powerful when it comes to hurting him. And of course, even if he's perverted, she still likes him. The leading girl is supposed to be her rival but the leading girl is too nice to hate so they're friends instead.



There's already many annoying stuff to pin point on the three main characters, hell more with the story!!! I am lazy to enumerate all that I've noticed or remembered, but here are some of my major problems with it:
  • We have a story around the first two chapters. Things seem serious and the leading guy's dream has to mean something. But after that we're dumped with chapters that are just fillers (beach chapter, festival, christmas, etc.) to waste time or just prolong the series. Actual story only resumed in chapter 9.
  • Even if the female president is hott, she just appears out of nowhere. It was an improper character introduction for her, in my opinion.
Oh these stuff are so frustrating. Such a waste because the story was promising, the art was nice and the leading guy is actually pretty cute. Even if it had perverted fanservice, it's actually pretty tolerable (at least most of them, I think) though there might be some extremes because there was a news that a certain episode of the anime isn't going to be aired on TV because it was "dangerous for TV". Moreover, the perverted fanservice here may be stupid . . . but they're stupid enough to be freakin' hilarious! Bwahahaha! A LOFCK OF FLYING PANTIES!!! WTF??!!! BWAHAHHAHAHAHA!!!!

Anyway, I'm honestly disappointed on this but . . . there's something that I love in this series a lot:



MY FAVORITE CHARACTERS AND OTP!!!!!! SQUEEEEEEE!!!!!!! Suguta is handsome and talented, but also a huge weirdo~ While Mikako is a hott chick that is freakin' evil~ AND OMG I LOVE THE PART WHEREIN THEY WERE TRYING TO KILL EACH OTHER!!!!!! HAHAHAHHAHA!!!!!!!! That's my OTP~ Bloody awesome and twisted~ But I believe it's obvious that Mikako somehow cares for Suguta; and he actually used his body to shield her from an attack. So romantic~

Guuuuhhh . . . . this is torture. I only want those two characters and I don't give a damn about the rest. Maybe I'll just read this if these two (individually or both) have a moment. And nope, not watching the anime. I might check out the opening and ending themes I guess . . . and maybe the first episode too, jsut to see how they'll be voiced and how it'll be like when animated. But watching all episodes? Naaahh . . . . but I will watch episodes with moments of my OTP. Ohohohohoho~


READ: 10 chapters out of 10 scanlated chapters of a 4 volume ongoing manga
VERDICT: Might Read More . . . but only Out of Bias
Story and art seemed nice . . . but it turned out to be some stereotypical perverted crap. It was entertaining, I admit, but it gave me headaches . . . Guuuuhhh . . . .
but my favorite characters and OTP are epic . . . .dilemma . . . nooooooooooo

2 comments:

Taru said...

I'm watching the anime...It's actually pretty funny.Though the boy is kinda boring...

Sapphire Pyro said...

@ Taru
It is funny. The story and characters are the ones giving me headaches =_=

which boy? leading character? I can't find him boring because he's pretty funny. But he's definitely stupid. haha!

Post a Comment