Daydream Sanctuary Features

Friday, May 22, 2009

New Flavors: Akaboshi - Ibun Suikoden


Akaboshi - Ibun Suikoden
by Amano Youichi
Approximately 900 years ago in year 1112, China is in the Sung Dynasty, China is slowly destroying itself.Now, a legendary hero is born, Taitengyoudou, the "Falling Star" rumored to be able to turn into a fireball and run. He has a band of 108 chilvarous thieves named Taitengyoudou and they are the ones to save the decaying land of China. He meets a girl that pretends to be him and now the story begins...

I found a new manga that I think only has one chapter out (so in other words, it's really NEW). It's an ancient China action-fantasy! I cannot ignore these kinds of stories. Hehe.
Well, it's actually your typical shounen, with a leading character even being so laidback is actually incredibly powerfuland he of course saves the day. Yeah, pretty clichéd, but there's something different on this manga's main character. He seems to have a different style/sense/type of carefreeness and cruelty, compare to other relunctant heroes I've encountered in other series. Even if he's on the good guy side, he doesn't necessarily have the determination to be righteous and stuff. I like unusual heroes.
This chapter made me chuckle. Leading guy cracks me up, while the girl, even though she has a good heart, is just too pathetic that I can't find her likable. I really ope she's not the leading female.
As for the art, it's cool. I especially love the ones on spreads and the action scenes. Nicely done.
Overall, it was okay and has the potential to be good. But I'm not that sold to it yet. Perhaps if the main storyline becomes very interesting and the other main characters would be fun, I might get hooked to this. Hehe.
I believe shounen fans would love it, especially those who adore the likes of Jyuushin Enbu and Fairy Tail.

Plot Source: MangaFox