Daydream Sanctuary Features

Saturday, July 4, 2009

New Flavors: Ao no Exorcist


Ao no Exoscist
(Ao no Futsumashi; The Blue Magic Exorcist)
by Katou Kaze
This world consists of two dimensions joined as one, like a mirror. The first is the world in which the humans live, Assiah. The other is the world of demons, Gehenna. Ordinarily, travel between the two, and indeed any kind of contact between the two, is impossible.
However the demons can pass over into this world by possessing anything that exist within it.
Satan is the god of demons, but there's one thing that he doesn't have, and that's a substance in the human world that is powerful enough to contain him!!
For that purpose he created Rin, his son from a human woman, but will his son agree to his plans, or will he become something else...? An exorcist? (Baka-Updates)

It seemed cool. And besides, it's a supernatural series that involves demons (even Satan! I love Christian religion references~) and exorcists. It's totally my kind of thing! It also reminded me of another manga that I got hooked to recently: Beelzebub. They both have the son of the devil or demon king thing. So I downloaded the available chapters, read them, and . . .

OH MY GOD SHET I AM TOTALLY HOOKED TO THIS AWESOME THING!!!!



The leading character lived as a human being all his life but one day his life changed drastically when it his powers had reawakened and it was revealed to him that he's the son of a human mother and the devil Satan. But instead of following his destiny, he chose to chooses to side with humans, and he won't see anyone else as a father other than the one who had raised him, who is a priest and an exorcist.

It's true that it's not really new to see a story with a main character that is supposed to be from an evil race yet chooses to protect humans and fight against his kind. However, even if that kind of plot or main character background is very overused, as long as there's something about it that makes it different from the others and has an interesting story, then it will do just fine.

And yes, Ao no Exorcist is one of such. The story had been really good and interesting, in my opinion. I think it's done a good job in handling its genres. I see it as a very good mix of fantasy/supernatural, action, comedy, and drama. We get to see extraordinary things . . . evil ones in particular since we're dealing with devils after all; but with those we also get to see some awesome battles. I am very impressed with the battles so far because it's not your typical shounen. Why I say so? In the three chapters so far, the main character isn't exactly the one who saves the day, but that doesn't mean he didn't do anything extraordinary either. But you see, in your typical shounen, the main character is usually either of these two types: 1) begins as a loser but gains some power later then saves the day or wins a battle by the end of the chapter 2) is actually very skillful but won't make it obvious at the beginning then saves the day or wins a battle by the end of the chapter . Type 1 is most common. And Ao no Exorcist falls in neither; because at the beginning he's normal, then finds out his someone extraordinary later, but he still needed help and he wasn't exactly the one who saved the day. I LOVE THIS SERIES FOR NOT FOLLOWING THE SHOUNEN CHAPTER ONE FORMULA!!!!!

Moreover, it has good action scenes. I am most impressed with a certain character (it will be spoilery if I reveal who) that has excellent gunning skills and occasionally just shoots a pesky demon as if it were a mosquito. The main character doesn't exactly have special moves yet but seeing him fight in his transformed form and his sword look awesome!

This manga is very very entertaining . . . mostly thanks to its comedy! It's so hilarious! I am so happy that the jokes don't feel forced and really fits what's going on. I am very very amused! And yes, it has crack! Blame it on Mephisto for wearing a clown costume and transforming into a little puppy. What the heck?! Bwahahahahaha!

It knows when to be comical, but it also knows when to be serious. I like the drama in this series. The tragic scenes here don't feel overdramatic. They had been very heartbreaking. The pain that the main character was going through felt real. As in they're really things that hurt and are really depressing. But thank goodness our main character isn't that angsty. I admire him for being pretty strong emotionally, even if he's stupid. Hehe~

I obviously have so many things to praise with this series, but of course I admit that of course it's not without flaws. One is the problem with some consistencies I guess, specifically the school thing. Our main character is actually, or is supposedly, entering a normal school, and his exorcists classes are from cram school. But so far only the exorcist classes were shown. What happened to the supposed school? If there hadn't been any plans on showing it, then the mangaka could've just made the main character attend just an exorcist school. I mean, I don't think it's necessary to have an ordinary school backup if it's not going to be featured anyway.

Or maybe, it's just me.

Another thing is . . . the priest has said that the main character could no longer become human again once he unsheaths his sword. And well, he did, but he can still return human. So . . . eh? So what's the use of that warning if it ain't happening at all?

Ah, one of the big complains that I actually have with this manga is . . . the school setting. OH COME ON!!! So many series have the school thing already!!! Well, at least it's not an academy. Just a class. And their teacher is actually the same age as them. So it's different in a way. BUT STILL!!! Training isn't just through the school system you know! Like what D. Gray-man did!!! Gimme more professionals from the organization instead of just a bunch of newbies and amateurs!!! But come to think of it, actual exorcists need to have some classroom training (as in they need to study from books). . . . BUT STILL!!!!!!!

Oh well, it was a big complain but a petty one. But here's my last complain and it's not exactly petty: WHY THE HELL DID THE GIRL SUDDENLY BECOME AN EXORCIST STUDENT AFTER "HER EPISODE"???? I mean, I DON'T SEE THE REASON! She was just a victim/client. I couldn't see any reason on why she'll suddenly think of becoming an exorcist. It just seemed like the mangaka just felt like adding the girl to the classroom just because he felt like it. THE HELL????!!!!

Anyway, just when did I have not any complains in a series? Wahehehe~ But this series is very awesome and entertaining so the things that bother me are ignorable~ Hehe.

Now, before I end this entry, let me fangurl:

I'm a fan of almost all genres, but supernatural is my number one. And I freakin' love supernatural stories with religious references. This is total win for me.

My name is Sapphire Pyro. Know how I've come up with that name? You see, my favorite color is blue, and for some reason I love watching flames. When I learned that there's such a thing as a blue flame and fire with such color is actually the hottest. I was so amazed~ From then on I've become fascinated with blue flames/fire. So yeah, Sapphire = Blue; Pyro = Fire/Flame. And you know, the main character here, when in demon mode, emits blue flames. That's what's making him distinguishable as the son of the Devil. This series and I are meant to be I tell ya. Wahehehehe~

I love the crack from this series very much. I am so amused. I love everyone in this series (except for the girl I guess, as suual~) so far. They freakin' entertain me.

And the greatest fanservice for me in this series:

TWIN BROTHERS

KYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!

They're fraternal twins, and those who know me may be aware that I AM A HUGE SUCKER FOR STORIES WITH TWIN BOYS!!!!! *very delighted*
And they have a very sweet relationship~ They care about each other a lot~
And I find it cute that the older one is the stupid one while the younger is the more mature one~
Protection between the two is also mutual. None is weaker and stronger. They are special in their own way.
I am so pleased~
SQUUUUUUUUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I FREAKIN' LOVE THOSE TWO!!! THEY ARE SO AWESOME!!!!
KYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm totally hooked to this! I can't wait for the next chapter to be scanlated *already saw the raw* Wheee~


Sapphire Pyro
READ: 3 chapters (out of 3 scanlated chapters released so far of a new ongoing manga)
VERDICT: Totally Following and Serving as a Parfait!!!
A manga that reminds me of Beelzebub and D. Gray-man? And has the supernatural and christian references stuff?
I'M IN!
Story had been very good and interesting. It's also very touching and hilarious.
Not to mention it's got three big fanservices for me:
1) CRACK. though of course not all the time, but still, they were crazy! I love the absurd~
2) THE BLUE FLAMES THING. Sapphire Pyro = Blue Fire/Flame. We connect, yes?
3) TWIN BROTHERS. And they're freakin' cute and awesome. I'm also a sucker for twin boys.
TOTAL WIN!!!!!!!!!!!

4 comments:

Double H said...

Just started this manga!!! haha thanks for reviewing it!! ^_^ I love you guys!! =3

Kimi said...

love ao no exorcist!!!!!!!^^

Anonymous said...

Actually, Rin isn't human anymore. He still has pointy ears, fangs, and a tail even after putting the sword away. The sword just acts as a catalyst for the powers of Satan lying dormant within him. :]

But I read this managa and adore it. It's one I'm going to keep an eye on.

Sapphire Pyro said...

@ Double H and Kimi
YAY xD

@ Anonymous
I didn't notice that . . . . but I really don't remember a tail o_O

Anyway, thanks =D And yay for another fan adoring this wonderful manga~

Post a Comment