Daydream Sanctuary Features

Thursday, June 18, 2009

New Flavors: Kämpfer


Kämpfer
by Tsukuji Toshihiko and Tachibana Yuu
Senou Natsuru is a normal high school boy. One day he wakes up to find himself turned into a girl. A stuffed tiger "Harakiri Tora" comes to life and tells him to fight as a female psychic fighter "Kenpufer". Having no idea about what's going on, Natsuru is involved in the battles against other Kenpufers. "Kämpfer" is the German word for "fighter".
(Plot Source: Baka-Updates)

Stories of mangas with gender benders usually have a slice of life school setting; and that happens to the main character either because he/she was required/forced to do it or he/she willingly did it for a certain reason, which is usually to be close to someone they like. While this manga, though it still has the school setting, it has a fantasy mix! From the title's meaning we could already tell that it has action, and extraordinary action + transformations involve the supernatural! I like that kind of thing, also the uniqueness of the plot. And besides, I'm attracted to manga wherein titles are in languages other than Japanese or English. Hehe. So I gave it a shot . . .



And the first page surprised me with a butt naked babe O_O Whoa! I finished one chapter and the story is still so ridiculous. I'd understand that if this is a gag manga, but I don't think it is. The art wasn't that impressive either, except on very few panels and the chapter/volume cover/spreads.

The main character was suddenly assigned to become some magical babe fighter just because the chosen one crap without any explanations why he was chosen and not even show how he was chosen either. And for the sake of fanservice (perverted and shoujo-ai/yuri), they made the guy a girl for the sake of having some sexy chick not used to her own sexy body.

Rivals/enemies also show up at random. They fight because they have to fight. End of story. Wait, there's a story? And also, the girl that the leading character likes apparently has a crush on his female version. Eerr . . . okay . . . *sigh* This series' characters . . . none are decent . . . not exactly in personality, but characterwise. They're pretty stereotypical and uninteresting, to me.

The first chapter gave me headaches. I browsed on the other four chapters (since I've already downloaded them anyway) to see if it'll make up somehow, but it just becomes worse in each chapter. I can't read more of this!

However, it's getting an anime adaptation soon. I'm not that surprised because with this story's fanservice, lots will appreciate this *sigh*. Yeah, so if you adore perverted fanservice with a lot of ecchi and some doses of shoujo-ai/yuri, and you don't care if the story is any good at all as long as the fun is there, then you may love this series.

I'm not being sarcastic. I would just like to mention those eyecatchers to people who are fond of that stuff. I'm just one of those who don't. Ehehehe ^^;


Sapphire Pyro
READ: 1 chapter (out of 4 scanlated chapters released of 2 volumes of an ongoing series)
VERDICT: Dropped and Exterminated
I thought the gender-bending + fighting thing will make me go YAY and/or LOLz but instead it made me go WTF?! and FACEPALM!
I can't read more of this. Characters are so . . . duuuuhh . . . and story's even worse.