Daydream Sanctuary Features

Friday, June 12, 2009

New Flavors: Shinwa Ponchi


Shinwa Ponchi
( Mythic Punch )
by Katsura Asuka
Aritake Deigo has decided to move out because he could not stand living with his family anymore and wants to find a place to live a miserly life of self-loathing. While talking to an apartment agent, he encounters a strange blue haired girl carrying a snake statue. He then starts hearing a voice from the statue and after touching it, he gets knocked out. Upon waking up, he finds out that he has been possessed my Lyssa, the Goddess of Madness. Now, if he can't be happy from the bottom of his heart, he will die.

It's by the mangaka of the famous BLOOD+ so when I learned that that mangaka also did this comedy series, it made me interested in it. Not to mention the self-loathing side of the guy reminds me so much of the main character of Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei! And indeed, they're both amusing! Haha! And the statue + goddess thing reminded me of Kannagi! However, I find Kannagi more enjoyable than this one.

I freakin' love Greek mythology, so I thought I would be bias to this series for that. However, it didn't get me hooked. Perhaps it has something to do with the way they presented my favorite Greek goddess: Athena. She's portrayed as something like an idiotic slut here. I am not amused.

The story didn't appeal to me but it sure was a fun read because of the crack:


BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

Story actually wasn't interesting enough for me to look forward to the next chapter. Events get duller and more nonsensical by the chapter. I know one shouldn't be strict with story decency when it comes to a comedy series, but making things happen for the sake of fanservice sucks. (Having those two girls live with the leading guy just screams harem! Uuuugghhh. . . )

But I still want to read more to know what the other gods and goddesses of this series are like. They seem fun~

Overall, the first three chapters had been enjoyable however they had also been a waste of time for me. Ehehe. Perhaps fans who enjoy seeing goddesses in sexy clothes or biasedly amused with main characters that are pessimistically retarded may get hooked to this! Haha! This had actually been fun, just not exceptional. Ehehe. And yes, it's absolutely nothing like BLOOD+

Plot Source: Baka-Updates



Sapphire Pyro
Read: 3 chapters (out of 3 chapters out so far)
Verdict: Temporarily Following
Self-loathing leading guy was amusing, and though promising at first, the story so far has been damn disappointing for me. And oh god . . . what has the mangaka done to my favorite Greek goddess!! Gggrr . . . I expected better from the mangaka of BLOOD+, but I was left disappointed!
I'm temporarily following it though, because I'm curious on what the other characters are like. Hehe.